Oceans Campaigner - Korea
Based: Seoul, South Korea
Contract: Full time, 12 month contract (then reviewed for a possible extension)
Salary: Based on experience
The Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) is seeking a highly motivated campaigner based in Seoul who is committed to protecting the marine environment, its biodiversity and the human rights of those dependent on it. The successful applicant will work with EJF’s international team and partners to combat the connected problems of illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing and human rights abuses in the fishing industry.
- With EJF`s international team, refine and implement a detailed advocacy plan for EJF`s activities based in Seoul
- Identify and liaise with key parliamentarians, other relevant committees and institutes to ensure resilience of EJF`s objectives in the country
- Work closely with the fishing industry and retailers to create opportunities for transparent and traceable business practices.
- Organise regular meetings and events with the key partners to strengthen their response to the issues
- Coordinate and facilitate the development of knowledge products on IUU fishing and human trafficking in seafood sector tailor-made to the Korean context
- Liaise with the NGO partners providing technical support and ensuring a positive growth and consistent flow of information and deliverables
- Conduct program management functions including development of monthly plans, monitor the progress according to timelines and outputs, and draft quality reports to highlight implementation of activities and impacts
- Participate in field research and investigations as required
- Provide communications support to the team for media engagement as well as production of reports and films
- Represent EJF at meetings and events where appropriate
- Be responsible for day-to-day management and administration
- Report on all work programmes and submit a weekly update and a monthly written report on progress, items pending and next steps
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of planning, management and implementation of programs and campaigns, preferably in the area of fisheries, sustainable environment, human rights, and development issues and concerns related to vulnerable people.
- Prior experience of working in/with/through NGOs, civil society organizations, research agencies, and/or government institutions in a managerial role would be an advantage.
- Prior experience of coordinating research projects and developing knowledge products would be an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both Korean and English
- Ability to work in multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
- A passion for protecting environment and vulnerable people
The successful candidate will be required to sign and adhere to the EJF copyright and the confidentiality clauses outlined in the Staff Handbook. The role will be initially contracted for 12 months and reviewed.
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 14 August 2020
EJF is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity, fair and equal treatment within the workplace.
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILS AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH EJF'S NEWS AND EVENTS
By subscribing to our newsletter, you ensure that you will stay up-to-date with latest news on our work and our campaigns, as well as how you have been part of achieving those goals. We carefully select what goes into our emails so that you will only receive relevant and interesting news about our campaigns. We will let you know when we have exposed a critical environmental issue or uncovered human rights abuses. We will ask you to get involved when your actions can make a difference, and we look forward to inviting you to our events.